Learn clinical applications of evidence-based relaxation techniques for chronic conditions
Psychoneuroimmunology (PNI) provides evidence for interventions such as diaphragmatic breathing (DB) and guided imagery (GI).
With theoretical and practical components, this short course introduces relaxation for pain, mood disorders, sleep disorders, trauma, inflammation and stress-related conditions. It is ideal for medical and health professionals who wish to practice clinical applications of DB and GI and understand current PNI research.
- Learn how PNI demonstrates mind body connections at cellular and molecular levels.
- Gain skills to apply DB and GI in clinical practice.
- Gain proficiency to teach patients to practice simple relaxation techniques effectively.
- Practice relaxation for personal health and wellbeing.
Relaxation is an evolving intervention in 21st century healthcare. It is evidence-based, non-pharmacological, non-invasive and cost-efficient for chronic conditions.
- Module 1: Introduction to Diaphragmatic Breathing (DB) and Psychoneuroimmunology (PNI)
- What is stress and what it is not!
- Introduction, definition and history of PNI
- Practical skills in DB
- Module 2: Clinical applications of DB and research in Relaxation Therapy
- Acute versus chronic inflammation
- Current, leading research in PNI and Relaxation in chronic conditions
- Clinical applications of DB
- Module 3: Introduction to Guided Imagery (GI) and a PNI approach to distress and disease
- Practical skills in GI for general relaxation and chronic conditions
- Leading research in GI
- More research in PNI, health and relaxation
- Module 4: Refining clinical applications of DB, GI and PNI in 21st century healthcare
- Skills to practice and teach DB and GI
- More PNI research in relaxation
- Putting it all together
- Explain psychoneuroimmunology (PNI) and its significance in today's healthcare.
- Practice self - care with diaphragmatic breathing and guided imagery for stress - related chronic conditions.
- Educate on diaphragmatic breathing and guided imagery to others / patients.
- Integrate PNI based relaxation therapy techniques in the management of chronic conditions.
Course delivery method
A 10-hour online course delivered over 4 weeks from Monday 9 October to Wednesday 1 November.
There will be a compulsory weekly 1.5 hour live Zoom session and self-directed learning over the 4 weeks. Weekly online materials will be available one week prior. Participants are expected to practice techniques regularly over the 4 weeks to experience personal benefits or changes.
Weekly live Zoom sessions
Week 1 - Wednesday 11 October 2023
Week 2 - Wednesday 18 October 2023
Week 3 - Wednesday 25 October 2023
Week 4 - Wednesday 1 November 2023
Each session will be at 4.30pm - 6.00pm (AEDT)
This course is designed for healthcare professionals who wish to expand their knowledge and clinical skills in evidence-based relaxation therapy. On registration and prior to week one commencing, you are required to complete 30 minutes of pre-learning before attending the first Zoom session.
Additional course information
This course includes weekly zoom sessions which are compulsory and must be attended to receive a certificate of completion.
If one or more live Zoom sessions are missed, participants will be required to provide a 500 word description of them teaching someone Diaphragmatic Breathing &/or Guided Imagery.
| General Registration
|| $796 (incl. GST)